Saturday, April 23, 2011

Book Club at the Lake








This past Thursday the girls had their last book club meeting for the year. We had read Baby Island so I thought it would be fun if we had our club meeting at a local state park with a lake. At first, I wasn't going to let the kids swim, but, everyone else was, so I bit the bullet. (I will be honest and just say I was kind of worried about watching all four kids in the water.)

The kids did great giving their reports. Each one of them has improved so much from the very first time they gave their oral reports. I was proud of all of them!

We are going to be continue the book club through the summer but with a little bit more laid back schedule. One book every six weeks or so. The two books the kids will be reading are Summer of the Monkeys and Half Magic. I have never heard of either one, but they both sound great.

I think we will also continue on in the fall. At least I hope so. We have a great bunch of kids and a great bunch of moms! So, I hope it works out. For the up coming year we are going to focus on historical living biography books which basically means biographies that are wrapped around a story. I am accepting recommendations from everyone in hopes of getting a diverse bunch of books.

Anyway, we had a great time with our meeting, picnic and swimming. A fabulous school day and a great end to our first attempt at a book club . . .

No comments: