Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Should Have Known

During dinner, while I was answering the 100th question from 3 of my 4 children, a conversation I had with a previous co-worker popped into my head. My former co-worked mentioned about all of the questions that toddlers ask.

My reply, to the comment, was "my toddler never asks me questions." I have to admit, I was kind of proud. I felt, maybe, she just knew what everything was. What did I know, I was a first time mother of a toddler and had a newborn. Pride, pride, pride.

Anyway, to this day, I can probably count on my hands the number of times my first born has asked me a question about something she didn't already know (obviously an exaggeration but hopefully you get the point.)

It has since dawned on me, after being peppered with questions from her three younger siblings, that my oldest doesn't ask me many questions because she knows it all. (Insert sarcasm.) I love her very much and she is very smart in a lot of things and honestly she does know a lot, but, as I tried to politely, and lovingly, explain to her that her body isn't made out of sand and that she needs to eat fruits and vegetables to stay healthy, that maybe, just maybe, she doesn't know everything. Just yet. . .


1 comment:

Katie said...

haha!
I remember someone once asking me (when I only had 2 young children) if I just said "uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" sometimes instead of really listening and replying to them. I said Of course not!
But, now? The joke's on me :)