Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mommy Moment

Today, while reading Plutarch's Lives with NG, we were going over the discussion questions at the end of our reading section. The section of Publicola we read was about how Brutus had to kill his own sons because of their treachery. (They had plotted to kill him so the Roman king could take leadership away from the Consuls.)

One of the discussion questions had us look up the verses in 2 Samuel, where David had to make a similar choice with his own son Absalom. As I was reading the question to NG, she said "I was thinking about David and Absalom while you were reading the story."

I was taken aback. There are so many times through out the day that I wonder if connections are being made in each child's brain. For the most part, on the outside, it doesn't seem that way. (So I question our methods.) And then NG goes ahead and makes a statement that just blows my mind.

We went ahead and read the verses together and then took a little bit to discuss David and Brutus' dilemma. They had to make choices that gravely affected their personal lives for the sake of many, many others. We discussed what each thought was right and what we would do in that situation.

When we finished our discussion I told her how great I thought it was to discuss that stuff with her. (I was a proud mama.) It made me feel like maybe, just maybe, we are on the right track. Reaping some of the benefits of our schooling. I immediately thanked God for that little blessing and answer to pray I have been looking for. . .