Sunday, September 4, 2011

Typical Conversation

(Which I had yesterday.) When someone finds out I homeschool:

New Neighbor: I understand you homeschool.

Me: Yes, yes we do. We really enjoy it (most days). I don't miss a thing that is going on in their lives (good and bad).

New Neighbor: Do you have to get some type of degree in order to educate your children?

Me: Nope. Apparently our state thinks that being the parent is qualification enough. (Said with big grin.)

New Neighbor: What about college?

Me: Well, you can actually enroll your 16 year old at the local community college. And they receive college credit. So, by the time they are 18 they might have an AA degree. Also, did you know that Harvard actually would like homeschoolers to apply. They have found out that they are really good students and know how to learn.

New Neighbor: Oh, I don't think I would have had the patience for that.

Me: Ha, ha. (Even bigger smile) Trust me, I don't. Just ask them (pointing to the kids sliding down the water slide.) But, it has given me and them a great opportunity for personal growth in that area.

We chit chat a little more and the subject is changed. But, for the most part, that is how the conversations go when you talk with someone who has never met a homeschooler before. It is hard for me to restrain myself because I am so passionate about what I do.

Part of me just wants to get the word out that homeschooling is a viable choice for education in any family. And God has more than qualified me, the parent, to educate my children. If for no other reason, He has blessed me with them and made me ultimately responsible for their care, growth and education. Because I am their parent, no one is going to love them and want the best for them, more than I do. . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I think homeschooling is becoming more popular, but it's still pretty unusual and has a lot of misconceptions that go along with it. I think you're doing a good job dispelling some of those and making it seem pretty darn attractive.