Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Things I Have Learned From a Dishwasher

Or, how about, things I have learned about life from NOT having a dishwasher.

Today will be day number 11, I think, without a dishwasher. (After 2 who can keep track.) Our 15 year old dishwasher gave out almost two weeks ago. At the end, I was running it twice, hoping, just hoping, the dishes would come out clean. To no avail. I had to give up my valiant fight.

The next day we bought a new one, with a promise from the store it would be delivered and installed in 7 days. They told the truth. It was delivered in 7 days, it just happened to be the wrong one.

When the right one was delivered yesterday (a week later), none to soon I might add, the store forgot to schedule an installment crew. So, my much needed dishwasher is now sitting in the garage. Hubby had to work yesterday and is working all day and evening today. So, nothing will be done until tomorrow.

I don't know what is worse, waiting on it to arrive. Or, knowing it is here and in the garage!?! Hubby accused me, jokingly of course, of putting the dirty dishes in the dishwasher in the garage, hoping they would get washed. ;)

I have learned some very valuable things, though, being dishwasherless:

It isn't necessarily a necessity.

It is a WONDERFUL convenience that I am eternally grateful for.

It is time consuming washing dishes three times a day for at least 5 peeps.

You don't need as many place settings when you are always washing dishes. And, the dishes are always clean.

It is a great time to "check out" of life. It is a chore that needs to be done, yet, it is a very thoughtless process. I took the time, while washing dishes to mentally take a break. (One unexpected blessing.)

I get dishpans hands very easily. Dishgloves were on sale BOGO at the grocery store. (Yet another unexpected blessing.)

My hubby does dishes differently than I do. (Don't be too jealous, he only tried to do them once. Have I mentioned he has other very redeeming qualities though?)

Through the whole "wrong dishwasher, forgot to reschedule installer" thing, my children were able to witness my example of showing people kindness and patience and understanding while I was really wanting to emphatically explain to them how really tired I was of doing dishes.

Little Mama and Boop truly have servant's hearts. LM always offered (and I accepted a couple times) to do the dishes. And Boop, balked at, but ended up enjoying, drying them.

Even though I have learned some very valuable things about myself and my family, be sure that my bedtime prayers will include a small plea to ensure that no problems occur tomorrow with the jubilant expectation of the installation of my brand new dishwasher.

If there are any hiccups with tomorrow's installation, you all just might hear me scream. I am kidding, of course. Sort of . . .

No comments: