Friday, November 4, 2011

K-Love

The kids and I listen to a local contemporary Christian radio station. It has positive, encouraging songs. And no commercials.

Because they are totally listener supported, about twice a year they have a pledge drive. When we first started listening to the station, I didn't like the pledge drive. To be honest, it kind of annoyed me.

But, as time went on and I listened to one or two more pledge drives, I started to kind of understand why people would send money in or want to support the radio station on a regular basis. I can't tell you how many times, when we have been in the car, that K-Love has "saved" the day. There are some songs I really like and speak directly to my heart (I love music.) There are times when the kids aren't getting along and one of their favorite songs comes on and they all stop and sing along.

The other day, hubby had EG in the car going somewhere. When he got home he said that she knew almost all the words to every song that was played. To me, it is special to hear my kids sing about Biblical truths. And, a lot of the songs are quite catchy. Very up beat and modern for lack of a better word.

Anyway, last month during Meals on Wheels, we had K-Love on. And it happened to be during their pledge drive. Earlier during the pledge drive week, the kids had mentioned supporting K-Love. They wanted to donate. Well, they wanted me to donate.

After tossing the idea around and talking to hubby about it, we came up with this idea. Considering the kids don't make "serious" money, I wanted to figure out a way that they could support K-Love monthly and it be a little bit of a sacrifice to them and not be an extra expense to us.

Once every two weeks, on Wednesday we get fast food between EG's tumbling class and church. They love Taco Bell or Chick-fil-A. It is a treat. So, I asked was it worth it to them to give up a trip to a fast food joint once a month to support K-Love. I figure it costs about $20 to feed the whole family and that is what they wanted to donate monthly.

Little Mama and Boop were pretty sure right away. Although they asked if they would ever get to eat out again. I said of course, that we were just giving up one of our "scheduled" fast food dinners. Nature Girl took a little more time deciding what she wanted to do. But, eventually by the time we got home from MOWs she had made up her mind to forgo a fast food meal and donate as well.

They were after me for the rest of the day to call. I know hubby and I could have contributedwithout making them choose. And honestly I wanted to support K-Love as well. But, I was hoping to teach them that sometimes helping others or supporting others is a sacrifice and a choice.

I am thankful that we are in a position to do it. Because I know that the songs that K-Love plays have been a blessing to me, many times over . . .

No comments: