Tuesday, November 1, 2011

On Wisconsin


Last week was our homeschool geography fair. I love that our little group of homeschoolers does fun things like that. I let the kids decide if they want to participate and how much or how little they want to do.

This year, because all three were participating, I picked the state for them, to do as a family. I picked Wisconsin for a couple of reasons. First, we are planning a trip there in January. And second, because I am originally from there. I thought I could help a little more and learn a thing or two.

Honestly, I was so amazed at what I learned about Wisconsin. Here are just a few things: cranberries are grown there, Green Bay is the toilet paper capital of the world, Green Bay is the oldest city, the Republican party was started there and a bunch of really interesting people were born there. Our research could have gone on forever. It was hard to narrow down our focus.

We decided on Wisconsin: Not just America's Dairyland. We focused out all the different kinds of things that Wisconsin grows and produces and manufactures. We decided to serve cheese (a given), cranberries (an unexpected) and brats (a treat). Every last bite was eaten.

We included a little bit about the Packers and the weather. Little Mama had put together 8 pieces of paper and colored snowflakes on it. It represented the 100 inches of snowfall that Northern Wisconsin receives almost every year. A lot of people commented on that.

I learned a lot of history (which I am sure I was taught at some point before.) And, I hope the kids learned a thing or two also . . .