Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Traveling With the Fam

While visiting my mom this past week, on a rainy day, we went to a local mall. This particular mall had an inside ice skating rink. My first reaction was "hey, we need to do this." Of course cooler heads prevailed. As much as I wanted the kids to have that experience, I came to realization, yet again, how much a family of six (maybe five depending on their fee scale) would have to pay for such a treat. To be honest, I didn't even look.

The day before, we wanted to visit the aquarium where the dolphin Winter lives, from the movie Dolphin Tales. When we looked up online to see how much it would cost, we were astounded. It would have been close to a hundred dollars! And, honestly, there didn't seem to be all that much to do except look at the dolphin. I didn't take a whole lot of time checking it out because I knew it wasn't going to happen.

Then about a month ago (maybe longer), I wanted to take the kids to see the Titanic Exhibit at a local museum. Again, I was flabbergasted at the cost for me and the kids. I have come to the conclusion, that a lot of these places price the average families right out of the possibility of enjoying them. Which is a shame.

At the mall, we settled for Starbucks for everyone. And sat watching all the others skate. It wasn't the perfect plan. But, it was something we could do together. And that usually is my goal . . .

No comments: