Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Hope

The funeral was Friday.  When J (Ms. B's son) and his wife told us about funeral plans I asked if it would be OK if the bigger kids came.  She was a part of their lives and now she is gone.  He said "yes, definitely, she would want them there."

Death is scary.  No body wants to die.  But, it is a reality.  I want my children to have a wonderful appreciation for life.  And for death.  I am not afraid to go through it with them.  Is it easy?  No.  Is it painful for a mom to see a son with tears in his eyes knowing he misses someone?  Yes.  But we can not hide from it.  It is so real.  And, I, we as believers, have hope.  I could not imagine going through this with them without hope.

Jesus died on the cross for my sins.  He was crushed for my transgressions.  He is my hope.  As we are learning in our Catechism class we all are born with sin because of Adam and Eve.  Boop said the other night he wished Adam and Eve had not sinned because then we would never have to physically die.  I agreed.  Life would have been so different.

But, then I said to him that God has given each one of us a choice to obey, to accept, even Adam and Eve.  We now have a choice to accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior or not.  I have to be honest, I don't want to be forced to do anything.  I want to choose.  I choose Jesus.  I choose hope.  I choose life eternal.  Love born of choice is so much sweeter than a forced allegiance.  And I choose to live for Him everyday.  And with that comes a sort of peace.  Especially when faced with death.  I have hope.  I am teaching my kids about God's hope for a forever future.

I am a sinner from the very beginning and I continue in my sinful flesh everyday.  I am learning to love and serve and share Jesus.  But, no matter how my day goes, my life goes, I have hope and a promise from God.  "In My Father's house are many mansions, if it were not so, I would have told you.  I go to prepare a place for you."  John 14:2

I just can't imagine going through life without hope . . .

No comments: