Friday, September 7, 2012

Shakespeare

Over the years we have done Shakespeare in a number of ways.  Mostly read very good shortened versions of the plays written by the Lamb and others.  We have even used paper dolls and dressed them up as the characters.  We have rented one DVD, A Midsummer Night's Dream (with Mickey Rooney).

But, this year, because I have three to read Shakespeare to, one of which is suppose to read the actual plays, I decided to do Shakespeare on CD.  Back in the summer I ordered A Midsummer Night's Dream because I know the story and the kids have heard/seen it in various forms.  Plus, we have car time every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoon on our trip to ballet.

So, this past Wednesday, we put in the CD.  At first LM said she didn't understand.  But then the story got going and she recognized some names.  When we got to ballet I read to them the very brief synopsis from the insert of the CD.  It helped tremendously in their grasp of the story. (I told them from now on I would read the over view first.)

It was hard to understand in some places.  The actors use Old English and takes a little bit to get use to.  By the time we made it to ballet, everyone, even EG, was listening with great attention.  What made it even greater was that the girls came out of my bedroom this morning saying that Boop was saying "Lysander, Lysander" one of the main characters in the play!  He is six so him just remembering a character was music to my ears.

My plan was to only listen to it on Wednesdays.  I want the CD to last the whole semester.  But, when I got in the car this afternoon, they requested to hear some more!  So, we listened to Act I, Scene ii and the first part of Act II.

It isn't easy and I don't expect them to understand all of it.  Heck, I don't.  But, it is kind of cool to be cruising down the road and have the car quiet because the kids are listening to Shakespeare.  Just one of those great mom/teacher/life moments. . .

No comments: