Monday, September 24, 2012

Our Trip

So a friend of mine encouraged me to do a short daily blog post about our trip. When she mentioned it, I didn't think I could or would do it.  But, I figured I would give it a try! 

My posts won't have pictures while on the road because I have hubby's computer (from work) and I don't think I can upload them.  But, I promise I will post bunches when we get home.

So, we are day two on the road.  We drove about 2 1/2 hours to my hubby's brother's house late yesterday afternoon.  We figured if we got a couple of hours out of the way, the rest of the trip would be a whole lot easier.  And so far, that idea has paid off.

Anyway, we had a great dinner with my brother and sister-in-law and my two nieces.  It is kind of funny because the next time we see them will be in just a few days in Pennsylvania!  Anyway, we all went to bed early because we had big plans to get up at 4 AM and get on the road bright and early. 

We were on the road by 4:30 and half of the kids were still in their PJs.  I took first driving shift.  I love to drive.  But, because I didn't sleep well I was only able to drive for a couple of hours.  Which was kind of a bummer because when we pulled over to change drivers, the kids woke up.

They packed books and crayons and books of puzzles.  The Kindles were a big hit and so were the DSs.  Amber, the name we have given our GPS, was a little off today.  She led us off the interstate to a Chick-fil-A that didn't exist.  The next place, on a different exit, was closed because of a broken water main but we finally persevered and were able to eat lunch.

After lunch was movie time.  We had made it through Georgia, S. Carolina, N. Carolina and the never ending state of Virginia.  We were making great time until we got to the DC area.  In 5 o'clock traffic.  It was crazy busy and backed up.  In every lane.  I guess Amber was trying to help us get around all the traffic and she directed off the interstate.

We went on a wild goose chase around a suburb of Baltimore, near as we could tell.  In 5 o'clock traffic.  It was crazy.  We were lost.  And it took us forever to find our way back.  The highlight of the whole mishap was that we got to see some really great old, old homes!

We are safely tucked away in our hotel room in Gettysburg.  Watching the Packer game after having a great meal of PB and Js and pastrami sandwiches.  We took a dip in the indoor pool and jacuzzi.

We have about a half day's travel tomorrow and a trip to Cabela's to look forward to.  There might be more blog posts because it is kind of fun.  But, then again there might not.  We will see how it goes . . .

No comments: