Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Routine

I function way better having a routine.  A rhythm for the week.  I seem to accomplish so much more and better yet, I even get to do things that I enjoy doing.

The fall semester was kind of a wash.  It was very educational in that we did a ton of traveling and therefore learned a lot about geography.  We got to hang with family and friends.  So that was cool.  But, our formal education never really got into any type of rhythm.  We just didn't get very far.  And we always seemed to be playing catch up.  Or just doing what we needed to do.

But, starting this January things have changed.  And I really, really love it.  We have been to the library a couple of times.  We have been able to cook and bake together.  I have even had a chance to learn a little bit about crocheting (which is one of my goals for 2013).  We have read great books, watched movies, hung out with friends.  I have had time to think.  Just a little bit anyway.  We seem to be moving forward.  Actually finishing school books.

We have had time for Science and Geography and Latin and Art and Time Line.  We been able to memorize some scripture and pretty consistently read through the Bible and have some quiet time.  We have had a spelling test and Nature Girl has been doing a fair amount of writing.

We are even getting chores done.  Bathrooms are cleaned, floors vacuumed, shelves dusted and we are even able to help daddy in the garden.  My car is cleaned out every week and ironing is done.  And for some strange reason, our school day is ending considerably earlier.  After lunch we are almost through with school.  We usually just have reading, quiet time and cleaning up.

I know it is January and I have no idea what the rest of our months will look like, but January has been nice!

As I look back, the only thing I can say is routine.  It is a simple routine.  Not over reaching.  Not trying to do too much.  Just the opportunities to get things done.  I am so thankful for that and I hope it continues for just a few more months . . .

No comments: