Monday, January 7, 2013

Bragging On My Son, Again!

I can't help bragging on him.  I think part of the reason why is he is doing things I just can't.  Or just don't understand.  Which amazes me.  Especially at his age.

I had read an article about a dad with 6 boys.  The mom was saying this is how the oil gets changed in her car her husband sits down at the table in the morning with his paper and a cup of coffee and tells one of his middle sons to go change the oil.  The son does it.  Some one asked well how do you know he did it right.  The father said that the boys had watched and helped a number of times and showed them how.  The first time the son did it himself, the dad checked the work and the kid did great.

So, I told the story to hubby and Boop happened to be sitting right there.  Hubby turns to Boop and says how do you change the oil in mommy's car.  Boop proceeds to go on to tell his daddy and me how he changes the oil.  Step by step.  He missed some of the technical terms and one small step, but other then that he said everything perfectly.  His daddy was proud.  As was I!

When we first bought our van, I ran into the side of a ditch.  The damage was the front piece of plastic under the front passenger fender  torn off.  But, for over 2 years I have been riding around with it that way.  The other day, the plastic piece was hanging so far to the ground it was dragging.  I was scared to death it would catch on something and tear completely off.  Hubby said he would fix it with a plastic zip tie when he got home.  Boop over heard the conversation and asked if he could fix it.  Daddy said sure and he would check his work when he got home.  When daddy checked, there wasn't a thing that needed to be changed.  He had done the job perfectly.  All on his own.

Then last night, hubby needed some prep work for our propane tanks on the camper because we are going camping this weekend.  He gave me instructions to give to Boop to get the job done.  With screwdriver and adjustable wrench in hand, Boop when out and completed the job.  (With a little help from me because some of the screws and nuts were rusted.)  When Boop ran into trouble he would think of a solution and call daddy.  His solutions were good.  Some just better than others.

Like I said, a lot of what he does is stuff I just don't know much about.  So, the fact that he can do this stuff and do it well, is crazy to me.  Hubby says he has a knack for that type of stuff.  A fix it guy, an engineer, a problem solver, he understands how things work and how they go together.  Of course, I am bias, but, I do think he has a gift.

One proud mama (and papa) . . .

No comments: