Monday, January 21, 2013

PW: Second and Third Tries

I am totally not a cook!  I am so out of my element in a kitchen it isn't even funny.  Well, that is not true.  To the casual observer it is probably quite hilarious watching me fumble around.

Anyway, weeks two and three were not quite as successful as week one.  But, I am having a blast trying to figure it all out!

Week Two of cooking with Pioneer Woman consisted of Fried Chicken Tacos and Orange Marmalade Sweet Rolls.

The sweet rolls I tried on a Saturday because I had to get up at 6AM just to get them started.  And we still didn't eat them until 9AM.  I do some baking, so honestly, I thought I would be OK.  Things started out fine, until I noticed the dough was a little "runny."  But, I had followed the directions exactly so just kept plugging away.

By the time I had the dough rolled out and had drizzled it with butter and was trying to spread the marmalade around, I realized there was something seriously wrong.  The dough was the consistency of some type of glue.  And when I went to roll it, it just kind of flopped over, with me having to sort of scoop in up and roll it.

Now, I have never made sweet rolls, but I have seen it done and it didn't look like any thing I remembered or like the the pretty picture in the cookbook!  But, I wasn't going to waste my dough and I was certain I needed more flour but, alas, it was too late.  So I kind of smooshed it together and then attempted to cut it in 1/2 inch pieces.

Getting it from the counter to the baking dishes was hilarious because it was all kind of schmoozing everywhere.  I ended up just flopping it into three baking dishes in no real pattern and tossing it in the oven to let it bake.

When it was done, it looked more like a cobbler then sweet rolls.  I drizzled tons of icing on it and made the kids eat it (no wasting you know) and, even though it looked suspect, it tasted pretty good!  Some of the kids liked it more than the others but that isn't so unusual.  I had so much left over that I tried to make it look pretty enough and brought it to church the next day.  Those who were adventurous enough try it said it was good.

Note to self on the sweet rolls:  add more flour, if necessary.





Next up was the Fried Tacos.  Again, epic fail in making them but the taste was good, even though presentation was disastrous.  Everything went according to plan, until had to to fry them.  I have never fried a food in my life.  Now, I didn't say I have never eaten fried food.  Hubby has always done the frying and I am not a big fan of frying because it is soooo messy.

I thought for sure hubby would be home by the time I started frying so if I got jammed up he would step in and save the day!  But, he was running late and I had to fry all by myself.  Well, that isn't totally true because my sweet LM came in the kitchen and tried to help.

The corn tortillas just kind of kept falling apart before they were fried crunchy.  At least that is what I am blaming it on.  It was mostly my lack of technique.  As the frying went on, the tacos got a little better.  Again, the taste was really good.  She uses a lot of spicy pepper type flavor which we enjoy.




Week three was White Chicken Enchiladas and Homemade Salsa.  PW has me doing things I just don't know about!  Grilled peppers until their black.  Hmmmmm.  Added into the enchilada sauce and it was fabulous.  This was a meal that totalled my kitchen.  My friend said her kitchen looked like a war zone when she was done.









Again, the presentation was not very appetizing for the enchiladas but it was really tasty.  As with some of the other recipes, we will probably tweak this one to make it more family friendly.  Like using flour tortillas instead of corn.  

The salsa was a big hit.  And we don't know why we ever buy jarred salsa!

I really am learning a ton.  And I am more and more confident in my abilities in the kitchen.  Next up Spicy Caesar Salad with Cornbread Croutons and The Best Grilled Cheese Ever . . . 

3 comments:

Katie said...

Good for you! The enchiladas look pretty yum. I guess I'm the opposite of you.... I love to cook and I'm always trying new recipes, I probably print off a new recipe every day! (and try a new one once a week) My problem is my family would probably prefer I stick to the tried-and-true ones, but too bad, hahaha.

Mary Beth said...

YUMMY!! I love this post...I love any food stories and food pics! Looks like you are rocking it, girl. I wanna eat all those dishes!!

Ann said...

MB - The next time you are in town, I will cook for you!! ;) Tonight is The Best Grilled Cheese Ever. . . and I love grilled cheese so this better be good!