Friday, June 21, 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow?




How does your garden grow?  Isn't that a verse from a nursery rhyme?  I think it is.  Anyway, our garden grows pretty well if I do say so myself!  Of course I don't have a whole lot to do with it.  It is hubby's thing.  What he does to unwind at the end of the day.  He comes home, takes off his uniform and heads outside to see what is going on.  

The little guys (who aren't so little anymore) trail after him and bring in the harvest.  This year we had lettuce, which I think I have already posted about.  Then came green peppers, zucchini and yellow squash.

We have had awesome stuffed peppers and we have sliced and diced and frozen the rest.  We have had roasted vegetables many times in the last 6 weeks!  We have sent some home with Grandma.  We have made zucchini bread and muffins some of which we have shared with our Meals on Wheels clients.

Another banner year for onions.  And they are just perfect.  Not too strong.  We have many, many pounds which is awesome because we love onions and put them in just about everything.  Not to mention including them in our roasted veggies.

And of course red potatoes.  We have roasted them and I have made a twice baked recipe.  We will be eating potatoes for awhile.  We have shared quite a few with our Life Group class at church.  They are so much better than store bought.  The only word I can think to describe them is creamier.  We bartered with one friend.  We gave them potatoes and they gave us green beans.  I would love to do that more often!  Have a little veggie co-op of our own. ;)

And I can't forget the tomatoes and our four little blackberry bushes.  We are just coming into tomatoes so I need to find a good (easy) spaghetti sauce recipe that can be frozen.  And we have fresh blackberries everyday.  We are still working on the taste of those.  Some are really good but some are pretty tart.  I guess it has to do with the soil.  But, the kids eat most of them anyway.  Especially EG.

I am thinking about what is in our garden at the moment and I think that might be it for now.  It is pretty hot out there and the bugs are pretty bad.  So probably not ideal for more veggies.  But, Daddy likes to experiment a little so we will have to see what he wants to plant next . . . 

No comments: