Wednesday, June 26, 2013

PW: Italian Cream Cake

I am a firm believer that dessert must include chocolate.  I have been known to pass on dessert if it isn't chocolate.  But this Pioneer Woman's recipe for an Italian cream cake even passed my test and it is definitely something I will make for dessert again.

It was my treat for daddy for Father's Day.  (He loves cream cheese icing and this has a ton.)

It really was a rather simple recipe when mixed all up could go into 3 9in round cake pans.  Layer cakes always scare me.  So much potential for disaster.



The cake was good but it was the icing that did the trick.  Cream cheese, butter, vanilla and  . . . 


Two pounds of powdered sugar.  Yes, that is right two pounds!  When I reread the recipe I was shocked to say the least.  I guess I thought I had read two cups because we did not have 2 pounds of powdered sugar at home.  (I had to run to the grocery store for the two pounds of powdered sugar and I even had to take a picture of it!)







I don't think we used all of the icing.  But, as you can see, the cake is covered.  We had dessert for three nights, I think, and even shared a couple of pieces with some friends.   Again, it doesn't look all that pretty.  I am sure with enough practice I could make it look as good as it tasted.

We really enjoyed it.  And, Little Mama has become an expert on making cream cheese icing and she has informed me that we will never buy pre-made icing again . . . 

No comments: