Friday, November 2, 2012

Sing, Sing, Sing


Nature Girl spends most of her down time singing.  Constantly.  There are times I have to ask her to stop.  Like when everyone else is trying to do their Math.  I am partial, I know, but I think she has a beautiful voice.  In fact, last year I looked into getting her voice lessons.  But, the lady I spoke with said the best thing for her, at this time, is just to be involved in choir.

At the time she was involved in the Children's Choir for Elementary age kids at church.  And she enjoyed it but I think it was probably more playing then actually singing.  All the kids have taken a harmony class over the summer.  The teacher taught them a little bit about reading music and singing different parts so that was cool.

Now that NG is in 6th grade, Middle School (I shudder when I say those words), she has the opportunity to sing with the Youth Choir at church.  We don't automatically participate in all the things youth related at church.  And when it comes to youth activities I think and pray and talk with daddy about what choices we should make.

But, this particular program is awesome.  Pastor R, the Youth Choir director, is a fellow homeschooler of 7.  He and his wife and his kids are awesome and I know that my kids can learn a lot from them.  Pastor R teaches music, they do various programs as ministry outreaches throughout the year and at the end of the school year they go on an almost week long bike trip sharing their program and the gospel in nursing homes and churches along a particular route.  They ride bikes and sleep in tents.

Last year's kids performed the program at our Wednesday Night worship service back in the spring.  And I loved watching all of those smiling young faces worshiping and praising Jesus.  One of the youth girl's that I particularly enjoyed watching is EG's ballet helper/teacher this year!

So, all that to say is NG has been participating in youth choir since the beginning of fall.  We have been hit or miss to practice because of our travel.  But, on one of our weekends at home she had a performance at a small town in our area.  

I loved watching her and all the young people singing and smiling on stage.  She enjoys the friends she has there and it gives her an outlet to sing, sing, sing.  I am thankful for such a great program through the church . . .

No comments: