Monday, November 12, 2012

The Clothes Line

So about two weeks ago our dryer stopped working.  And, of course, it was hubby's long weekend to work.  Day and night.  And because hubby does all of our fixing up, it was just something that was going to have to wait to be fixed.  Thankfully he strung up a make shift line before leaving for work the next day.

I did not relish hanging clothes on the line.  We were soooooo far behind with laundry because of the camping trip and all.  But, what was a girl to do.  So, the next day I went to the Dollar Tree and got 3 packs of clothes line pins and we started stringing up our laundry.

And, I LOVED it!!  Both the kids and hubby said it made me get outside.  And the weather here has been fabulous.  A great, great time to be outside.  For any reason!!

The dryer has since been fixed but I try to use it sparingly.  I love the feel and smell of the line dried clothes.  It is a little extra work and timing can be an issue.  But, for the most part, it has worked out great.  And I can't tell you how I love the sheets on the bed that have been line dried!  Simply like crawling into heaven in the bed!!

Some things I have learned.  The absolute best days to dry clothes are sunny, slightly warm and breezy.  Although I have dried clothes in variations of this ideal.  The clothes that dry best are the synthetic materials.  They dry within the hour.  The clothes that take the longest are those with large seems.  Like gym shorts.  Especially if they are made of cotton.  Socks take awhile too.  Underwear really fast.  (The neighbors are thankful for that.)

I have decided to use the dryer for jeans and most of the towels.  They just do better and it helps me to stay up with the laundry.

I wanted to take this really fabulous picture like you see for clothes detergent commercials.  You know the one where all the wonderful pastel colored clothing is hanging and the sun is shining and the breeze is blowing and you can see colorful flowers and beautiful green trees in the background.  Oh yeah, let's not forget the big fluffy clouds.  But, every time I think to take a picture, I have the darks out there or the whites.  Just not as picture perfect.  So, no picture, at least not today, of our clothes hanging on the line.

Can't wait to see if there is a noticeable different in the electric bill this month too . . .

No comments: