Thursday, December 2, 2010

One of the Hardest Parts

I think one of the most trying parts about being a homeschooling mom, with the kids home, all day, is the constant job/responsibility of being a referee/judge. If I had a nickel for every time I hear "MMMOOOMMM, so and so did this (didn't do that) touched me (didn't help me), is being mean to me (won't answer me), won't let me play (won't leave me alone)" blah, blah, blah, blah . . . I would be an independently wealthy women. (In my 10 minute shower yesterday, I was interrupted twice.)

I know those things happen in all homes, everywhere, no matter the circumstances. But, it is something I feel I really need to nip in the bud. The two things I feel I need to address are conflict resolution and tattling.

We do have some tools in place to avoid arguments such as each kid has their "own" week, in which, if something needs to be done, they are my helper. It alleviates me picking someone to do such things as set the table or take out the trash. Whoever's week it is, gets to do things/chores that are not necessarily assigned to another child. It alleviates "but, I did that yesterday" or "it is NG's turn."

We are in the process of Peacemakers, which gives the kids (and me) godly tools to understand and resolve conflict in a way that is pleasing to God (and to me.) Next, on the habit training list is tattling. To be started some time after the first of the year. There is at least one scripture verse that comes to mind at the moment, that can be applied to tattling, Matt. 7:3 "And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?" In other words, don't work so hard getting your siblings into trouble, I am sure you aren't blameless in the matter.

Unfortunately, just like everything else I teach, and learn, it is a process with no real immediate results. And, it usually takes, on my part, a real willingness to be consistent with my instruction. The upside, I guess, is there are many, many opportunities, all day long, to hone our peacemaking skills . . .

No comments: