Thursday, February 3, 2011

History

I still remember, in college, sitting in a huge auditorium for a British History class. I even remember the teacher. He was a tall fellow, lean, with brown hair. He was a runner and always wore khaki pants and tennis shoes. And, he was boring. I remember staring up at the big screen, trying so, so hard not to fall asleep. Yet again. (I think the class was right after lunch.)

Anyway, I LOVE history now! I have read with Nature Girl and am now reading with Little Mama, the history of England. The same stuff that bored me to tears in college. Yesterday LM and I read a portion of history when King Harold lost the battle of England to Duke William of Normandy. At the same time, LM and I are reading The Little Duke which is about an 8 year old boy who became the Duke of Normandy and his father's name was William. So, now our goal today is to find out if they are one in the same.

The book we are reading is called Our Island Story and Nature Girl is just a little further along then Little Mama. Each girl is reading living literature books that are centered around the time period they are reading about in the Island book. Nature Girl is up to the Pilgrims and is reading The Landing of the Pilgrims, which will lead into American History once we start our fourth grade reading books. I am also reading to the girls This Country of Ours which is American History going all the way back to the Vikings. Again, Nature Girl is further along than Little Mama. I enjoy reading it twice because I miss stuff the first time around.

Nature Girl should be reading all her books on her own. But, she doesn't. I still read them to her. Because I love history so much I don't want to miss anything. I guess next year I will read what she is reading on my own.

I know I have said this a million times on my blog, but this whole homeschooling thing is giving me the chance to learn right a long with my kids. By the time I read the same history books toEG and Boop, I just might be a history expert . . . .

No comments: