Monday, March 14, 2011

Scene on the Playground

I have always despised the preschool playground bully. You know the one, always pushing the kids, throwing the little tire pieces at other children, taking over whatever piece of equipment the other little kids are on.

They usually look unruly. Scraggly hair, no shoes on, lunch on the front of their shirt, clothes too big/too small or like their mama hasn't given them a bath in a while. Or a decent talking to about playground manners.

Oh my, I just described EG on the playground today. My poor, sweet little EG is the playground bully. She threw tire pieces at the little girl all dressed in a ruffled, matching pink and green polka dotted outfit, with coordinating hair bow and nice white sandals. I very humbly picked the tire pieces out of the little girl's bow all the while encouraging EG to apologize. Then EG climbs on the same toy as the girl. And I cringed. My child in winter clothes on a sunny, beautiful spring day. Shoe less and snarled.

I want to say "hey, it is a playground, let the kids play" or "I had to wake her to bring her here. She had a really short nap." Of course, when some little ruffian did that to my kids I was always quick to judge.

I really, really do love God's irony. Especially raising children. What a truly humbling experience . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, awesome. I know just how you feel --- both ways.

Mary Beth said...

Oh this is a great post!! I love how spirited EG is! :)