Sunday, October 28, 2012

Day Two, Part Four

This was another high light of our trip, the American History Museum.  This was another museum just filled with so many exhibits and information and displays.  It is probably the museum the kids could most identify with because it had more things they could relate to.  Music, movies, presidents etc.  I hate to say it but by the time we got here we were tired and we still had monuments to see.  I am certain we missed a lot from here.  But, I keep telling myself, someday we will go back.


The outside of the museum.


Hubby's favorite exhibit.  Archie Bunker's chair.


A camera used to film the bombing of the Twin Towers.  Strange to me that it is in a museum.  It seems like yesterday.


A highlight.  Dorothy's shoes.  A must see.


One of the first computers.  It was crazy to me to see how far technology has come in such a short period of time.  There were things in this part of the museum that I remember from when I was in high school like a Walkman!


Dumbo.  EG has never been to Disney.  Might need to do something about that.


The Scarecrow.


The hall of the First Ladies dresses was a huge hit with the big girls.  I can't tell you how long they spent in there looking at all the displays and taking pictures of all the dresses.  Unfortunately, the pictures did not come out very well.  I just included the pictures of dresses I liked or ones that came out OK.


Most dresses I don't remember who they belong to.  I wish there would have been like a pamphlet or something we could have taken with us.



I am pretty sure this is Nancy Regan's dress.  She was so tiny.


Michele Obama's dress.



One of the things I enjoyed was the place settings and dinnerware from many of the presidents.  It was neat to see how things have changed over time.  From much more everyday to elegant.  I took a picture of this because NG is reading a book about Abigail Adams.  She was a really neat lady!



Martha Washington's dinnerware.  Very simple, everyday, nothing fancy.  I think you could tell the personality of the Presidents by the plates.  One set had wildlife on it.  Kind of cracked me up.  The newer ones had the Presidential seal on them.



My personal favorite.



Again, one of the reasons I love museums is the opportunity to see original articles from history.  It blows my mind, it is so hard for me to comprehend that George Washington, the man we are reading about right now, our first President of the United States, sat in this chair!  Amazing . . . .

No comments: