Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Washington, D.C.

We left Aunt Reenie's mid morning on Sunday and headed off to Washington, D.C.  I was pretty excited.  Washington, D.C. is such a great place to visit.  I suppose we could have spent at least a week there.  But, our goal was to spend a couple of days and hit the highlights.


We were blown away by the size of the pumpkin we saw on the Interstate.  My guess is they were off to some type of Fall Festival or State Fair.  Wonder if they won first prize?!?


Because we came into D.C. on a Sunday and were actually staying in Alexandria, VA, we went right through D.C.  I had to take a picture.  I think the Washington Monument was suppose to be somewhere in the picture.  Chances are I was going to fast and missed it in the picture.


I love the Metro.  The kids loved the Metro.  I have been on the Loop in Chicago and the Subway in New York.  By far, this is the easiest system to understand.  And the cleanest.  I was excited to ride it again with the kids.


Our first stop on Sunday night was Old Towne Alexandria.  Thanks to the Concierge at the hotel.  He told us we would enjoy the walk down to the Potomac.  Lots of shops and restaurants.


This was amazing to me.  You can rent the bikes right from here and ride them to where you want to go.  Just return them to the rack.


A restaurant George Washington ate at quite a bit.  I love stuff like that.  To think he actually went through that door.  They had a tour but by the time we got there it was only open for dining.





The town hall.


The harbor on the Potomac.


There was a pavilion and artists and musicians down by the river.


A couple of ducks in the Potomac.  EG called the brown one a "tiger duck."


The Capitol from the Potomac Harbor at Old Towne Alexandria.


I have no idea what this building is.  But, it was in DC and I thought it was very unusual.


Had to take a picture of this.  A restaurant on the boardwalk in Old Towne.




The kid friendly restaurant we ate at in Old Towne.  The inside was crazy colorful.

A great way to start our little mini vacation in DC.  Good food and great sites . . . 



No comments: