Monday, October 8, 2012

Family

One of the biggest impressions on me while we were in PA was the large amount of family all located in one geographical area.  My sister-in-law's husband's family has been in that area for generations.  And, near as I can tell, not many of them have moved away.  But, that seemed to be the trend for many of the families there.

I will be honest, it made me think of that type of life.  Where grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins all stay in the area.  Constant contact with family without probably having to try too hard.  Weddings, funerals, baptisms, birthdays, anniversaries.  Just natural things that bring families together.  And it seemed that many of the families had more than two kids.  (Just observations on my part.)

It made me want to make the effort to spend time with the family we have around us.  My hubby has a brother-in-law who lives in town.  We have my sister and two nieces here.  My desire is to have the young people over as much as they are willing.  An every Sunday family dinner.  My sister and her boyfriend are regulars already.  And then maybe have both families get together about once a month and break bread.

I know life is busy and there are lots of reasons not to do this.  But, like I tell the kids when they squabble with each other "God gave us great friends, some will come and go, but family is forever."

Last night we had my two nieces over, one of their boyfriends and an 11 month old puppy and dinner was a blast!  The kids enjoyed hanging with their older cousins and meeting the boyfriend and puppy.  It is a start.  I hope it is something I will put the effort into doing pretty regularly . . .

No comments: