Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Last Day in DC

I know, enough already.  But, I post most of my pictures to my blog because if our computer ever crashed at least I would have some pictures left of our life!  Yes, I know, I need to back up our pictures on to some type of external drive.  I have no idea what I just said but somebody, hubby I think, told me I needed to do that.

Anyway, guess what these are pictures of?  Our next and last stops were many of the monuments.



The monument was closed because of the earthquake they had had in DC.  Which was kind of OK by me.  That thing is old.  And very tall.  I am not sure we would have made it up there.  Although I am sure the view is beautiful.  I have been told another great view of DC is from the Tower in the Old Post Office.  And it is open and the wait is not as long.  I didn't find out that tidbit of information until after we left.  On our way back to our Metro stop we actually walked past the Old Post Office.   Next time.


While we were all gazing up at the Washington Monument, EG decided to chase geese.  


Lincoln Memorial from the Washington Memorial.


Capitol from the Washington Memorial.  It was an overcast, foggy day but it did make for some pretty cool pictures, I think.




Such an amazing war memorial.  It sparked a lot of interesting conversation with the kids.  Especially NG.


Washington Memorial from the Vietnam Memorial.


Daddy and his girls.


Daddy and all the kids.  We had talked about the importance of being respectful and solemn while viewing the monument.  That some people were there to see the name of a loved one on the wall.  NG said after the picture was taken she wasn't sure if she should smile in the picture given the background and what the memorial stood for.  (Such a deep thinker.)



Up, up we go.  We had a good, hard, grasp of EG.  The marble stairs scared me to death.


Reflecting pool and monument from the Lincoln Memorial.  They had drained the reflecting pool to put a more ecofriendly cleaner in the water.  Unfortunately it needed to be tweaked a little bit because the water around the edges was quite green.





By this time, EG had fallen at least once.  She was tired of walking.  I am pretty sure she could not have cared less if we ever saw another museum or monument.  But, we still had the White House to see.  She literally sat down on the pathway to the White House and refused to go any further.  As you can see from her face, she was not throwing a tantrum.  She was just done!  We cajoled her into getting up and lett her know we were very close to going back to the hotel.  She did get up and finish the journey.




The White House.


The Washington Monument from the White House (last picture of the Washington Monument, I promise.)


EG spent much of our viewing time trying to get through the bars.  Needless to say we were scared to death we would be on the nightly news watching video clips of our spunky 3 year old turning cartwheels on the White House front lawn while the FBI, Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines just tried to catch up with her!


Awe . . . aren't we cute!?!  Still smiling (well I am smiling - hubby doesn't smile in many pictures) after many, many walking miles.


This picture about sums up our trip to DC.  Just plain wore out.  EG promptly fell asleep on the Metro ride back to the hotel.  We could have stayed in DC another day, another week.  But, we were tired.  We had been gone from home for over a week and still had a long drive ahead of us.  We had another trip planned mid-October to go camping and daddy felt it best for us to start back home.  I had really wanted to stay a day longer but it was time to get back home.

It was only a day drive, a long day, but a day nonetheless.  I told myself, when the kids get a little older, when EG is at an age where she can understand a little better what DC is all about, we will go back.  I think it is a place you can travel to many, many times and still see something new, learn something new, do something new.  So until then . . . . 




No comments: