Thursday, August 26, 2010

Book Club

Today the girls had their very first meeting for their book club. Well, the book club I am co-ordinating for them.

At the end of last year, I just felt lead to start a book club for them. The following are a couple of reasons why. First, I wanted the girls (kids) to meet regularly with a group of girls (kids) for a school purpose. Secondly, I wanted to meet regularly with a group of moms. Thirdly, I wanted to do something to encourage reading. Lastly, I wanted my girls to get a jump start on "public speaking."

So to that end, this is what the book club looks like, as of today: we get together once a month with 5 other families (total of 18 kids - 8 of which are participating); there will be a time to discuss the book; there might be an activity coordinated around the book and each girl will be given the opportunity to get up in front of the other girls and tell a little something about the book.

Each mom, along with their girl(s), will decided for themselves exactly how they want to approach the public speaking part. Like, for NG, I will encourage her to write a paragraph or so in the beginning. She isn't use to writing so I need to take that into consideration. I might, in the beginning, let her dictate to me. I just don't know yet.

I thought for LM I would let her draw a picture about the book. Then, as her public speaking, have her tell about the picture. I don't, for any of the girls participating, want this to be a bad experience or something they start out dreading.

The following are the books we have chosen for the next few months: The Hundred Dresses; Island of the Blue Dolphins; Charlotte's Web; Misty of Chincoteague; and The Pied Piper of Hamelin.

I, in the beginning, will read the books to LM. NG will be responsible for reading all on her own. We have two times during the day, set aside, for just reading. So, I am confident, if she takes advantage of those opportunities, she will finish the books. But, to be honest, I am kind of excited to read some of the books to LM. A couple of them I have never read before . . .

3 comments:

MollyMcFarland said...

Great idea! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Diane Moody said...

I wanna come! LOVE this idea and love your booklist! CanIpleasecanIpleasecanIplease?!!!

Ann said...

Yes, Aunt Diane, you most certainly may come!! We would love to have an actual author in our presence ;) Hope all is well with you!