Saturday, August 28, 2010

Homeschooling Blessing

Last year around this time, while I was in my Sunday School class, I made a prayer request for our first week of schooling to go smoothly. I had been homeschooling for a couple of years and knew that getting back into the school routine could be a little challenging. So, I asked for prayer for patience for me and the kids, blah, blah, blah.

One of the men in the class laughed. He went on to say how parents of kids who go to school are thanking God that school is starting. Then he went on to say how homeschoolers always ask for prayer request for the beginning of school.

It got me thinking. My attitude toward the school year starting should most definitely be one of praise and thanksgiving! God has given our family such an awesome, challenging, rewarding, special, hectic, challenging, blessed, awesome, responsibility to educate our children.

That scenario at Sunday School has stuck with me the whole year! And, has really affected the way I approach our education this year. God has given us this AWESOME opportunity, and yes, I do need prayer for patience etc. But, more than that, I am thanking and praising God for letting me spend every waking moment with my children. Helping them grow into the men and women God has created them to be.

They grow up so fast. And it makes my heart sing to know that my husband and I are the biggest influences in our children lives. We are giving them the best foundation to head out into the world. Sure, we will make mistakes. All of us. But, they are our mistakes. Which we all can learn and grow from.

I just can't explain in words, what it means to me to be with my children in every step of their growth . . .