Friday, August 20, 2010

Little Mama Shopping

A week or so ago, I took LM shopping for school. We went to a couple of stores to buy her one school outfit. But, we also had to buy a wedding dress. So, we did more "shopping" then we would normally do. That was alright though, LM is a good shopper. She understands about picking out modest clothes and doesn't try to push the boundaries. So, a lot of clothes she chooses are outfits I am OK with.

She also has her own sense of style. It does make shopping a little more problematic when I let them pick their own clothes. But, I feel I direct them in so many more important ways, that letting them pick their own clothes is a little bit of fun for them. A way to express themselves. And as I mentioned, we really don't do a whole lot of clothes shopping.

LM picked out three dresses for the wedding. She tried them all on and was so serious about picking out just the right one. Plus, I think she wanted to please me. I loved two of the three and if she had wanted the third I would have acquiesced. At least twice she asked which one I liked. I told her it was all her choice. But, there was one that I thought looked exceptionally nice on her. It turned out to be the one she chose. Brown with a pretty light blue flower print. The brown and blue enhanced her darker hair and her steely blue eyes. (Then Grandma took her to get her nails and toes done and she picked a pretty shade of baby blue for the polish!)

After we bought the dress, it was much harder to find a school outfit. Thankfully the kids don't need much and it is still going to be warm for quite some time. We tried on all kinds of things and finally settled on one t-shirt. She couldn't find any bottoms she (or I) liked. You will see the t-shirt on Monday for our official "start of school" picture.

Then on to Target for school supplies, which totaled a matching folder and notebook, a box of colored pencils, some erasers, maybe some regular pencils and then, these squishy things you put on pencils.

We had popcorn and LM had a slushy at the Target cafe. We chatted a little bit and held hands (a little bit) as we walked around. I know it isn't much time to spend together, just the two of us, but I do try to make it a little bit special. I hope she knows I enjoy it as much as she does . . .

1 comment:

MollyMcFarland said...

I love it. and LM. and you. :)