Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sewing

Today we had our second sewing lesson. It is not just for the girls. It is for me too. And the lady who comes to our home to teach us, and another family, is wonderful! She is patient and very understanding. She is like the 5th of 12 or something and had 5 of her own.

Anyway, I say all that, because a house full of 7 children, while trying to learn to sew can be a little crazy. The other mother and daughter learning with us, are friends and the kids are friends, so that is helpful. We are all comfortable with each other.

The teacher feels very strongly about learning the right way to sew. And I am thankful for that. We are all getting a really good foundation.

The girls' project is a baby size blanket. So far we have bought all the supplies and the material we need. We have washed and ironed the fabric and cleaned up the edges (I am sure there is a more technical term). Today we pinned, ironed and started to sew the hems.

It has been fun to watch how each girl learns. And, to learn myself. The teacher assures us as we become more comfortable with the machine and sewing in general, it will get easier. Right now, it feels so foreign, to all of us. But, the girls seem to be catching on quick. Little Mama is really enthusiastic about it. She is a natural born domestic diva. She really is going to make a good wife, mom and homemaker someday.

Nature Girl picked up quick. She probably just needs to be patient, though. She was hoping to finish the blanket today.

I enjoy it. I have no idea what I am going to do with my new found knowledge. I was going to say skill, but I would not say I have a skill, just yet. Well, whatever we decide to do, it will have to be something fairly simple. At least in the beginning . . .

1 comment:

Diane Moody said...

Love that you're learning to sew! So many creative adventures ahead of you!!!