Friday, August 6, 2010

Boop, the Boy






Today Boop got to go to soccer camp. Except for tumbling, which he does because I am already there with the girls, this is his first foray into extracurricular activities.

The camp was only for two hours, ages 5-8 and all homeschoolers. The coach let him participate because he will be 5 in September. We bought tennis shoes, but found Nature Girl's old cleats. We borrowed shin guards, which I think were a little too big. The only thing we didn't have was a soccer ball. Well, we have one, but it has been outside for months and am pretty sure it is moldy.

Anyway, he was excited and a little nervous. He was concerned he would get hurt and all the kids would be taller than him. He was right on one account. He didn't get hurt but he was the shortest, youngest kid out there.

He is a complainer by nature. Adorable, but a complainer. I was worried he would come running up to me every two minutes saying things like "it is hot", "a kid stole my ball," "it's hard" or "can we go home?" But, he was a champ!! Not once did he say anything negative. I was so proud of him, I even mentioned it on the way home. (In fact, I complimented the girls also, because they had to sit there waiting on him for two hours. They are not use to being the ones waiting.)

Every time I saw him, he was working hard at it. Following directions. Trying. He didn't seem to get discouraged, even though he had no clue what he was doing. He didn't get upset when a bigger boy passed him while they were dribbling down field. (I think that is what it is called.)

They had quite a few water breaks and he would come up all hot and sweaty. I was really proud to hand him a Gatorade. I really was excited to see him participating in an organized sport. He is in a house full of girls all day, so it was great to see him exert himself, in boy fashion!

Every Thursday, during the school year, they have homeschool soccer. Boop enjoyed it so much today, he asked if he could go back. I think we will definitely look into it . . .

2 comments:

MollyMcFarland said...

OMG he looks like an all-star! Naturally.

Ann said...

I really was proud of him!!