Saturday, August 7, 2010

Shakespeare

One of the things that really impressed me about the Charlotte Mason approach to homeschooling was her introduction to Shakespeare in First Grade. I remember Shakespeare in British Literature class in high school. Oh my, what a drag. I didn't understand the plays to save my life. To be honest, didn't much care. I remember my teacher, not her name at the moment, but how she looked.

O.K., I digress. So, when CM talked about Shakespeare at an early age, I suppose I was a little skeptical. But, CM's philosophy in a nutshell is, kids are really capable of understanding things that we, as adults, think are to difficult for them. Shakespeare is a great example of that.

Granted I don't read the kids the original plays. But, real quality retellings of the originals. We have started out with Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children, by E. Nesbitt. And now we are reading Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb. I bought cut out dolls for the stories so the girls dress the dolls with the appropriate character attire and it helps them to visualize the story.

When Nature Girl and I started reading the little bit harder Shakespeare book Tales, The Merchant of Venice, was one of her favorite stories. Once, after reading A Midsummer Night's Dream, we rented the movie with Mickey Rooney, and the kids watched it over and over.

Right now, Nature Girl and I are reading a children's biography about Shakespeare and she really loves it. And hates when I put it down.

I think in Fourth Grade, the CM curriculum I use, actually encourages the reading of the real plays. (We are still finishing up Third Grade books.) I will be interested to see how that goes. (I am having flashbacks to Brit Lit.)

Do I expect them to carry on a long winded discussion of Shakespeare's characters? No. But, they have been exposed to a great man who had great thoughts. My hope is to encourage them to have great ideas, as well. And heck, when they get into high school, they will be a head of the game, because at least they will be familiar with characters and plots and story lines. That can't be all bad . . .

No comments: