Monday, September 6, 2010

Expectations

Or should I say unmet expectations. Oh, so hard to deal with. We all deal with unmet expectations, whether from a coworker, a spouse, a friend, our children or our family. As our pastor said yesterday "Expect to get hurt. When you don't, thank God."

His sermon was on forgiveness and that should be our response to unmet expectations. Not an easy response, but the right one. Ephesians 4:32 spells it out pretty clear "Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." He is not asking us to do something that hasn't already been done for us.

Our pastor went on to say, using a quote by John Piper, that basically if we are unwilling to forgive, then we need to check the condition of our salvation. Wow, to me that was a powerful statement. If we are unable to forgive, is it possible that we don't have a growing, loving, relationship with Jesus Christ? As I have mentioned before, I am not a theologian so that statement has given me pause.

I am not sure I like it. But, that doesn't mean it isn't true. It kind of makes sense, though. I call on Jesus for forgiveness of my sins (He who died for my sins) so that I can have a growing, loving relationship with Him, a restored relationship with God and the promise of a life after death in Heaven. But yet, I can not forgive someone, who I feel has not met my expectations?

Anyway, I am not a theologian. But, I do struggle with unmet expectations and sometimes wonder what I am suppose to do with them. Now I know. I am to forgive them, just as God has so lovingly forgiven me. Tall order on my part, but I am going to give it a try. I haven't found a better, healthier way . . .

No comments: