Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Relaxed Homeschooler

With a schedule. The best of both worlds. Yesterday a fellow homeschooling mom asked me how my year was going so far. After I did a quick assessment, I said it was going great. And it is!

I have given myself the goal of being a relaxed homeschooler. I have probably said that before, but this year, I really think I am.

I have my schedule that keeps me on track of things we need to do. But, it doesn't get in the way of what I feel is really important. And, I feel because of the schedule, we are actually doing things that I felt we never had time for before. Or, would get pushed to the side when time ran out.

We are able to go to the creek once a month. Belong to a book club once a month. Do nature classes at the nature museum once a month. Meet once every six weeks with some families who are schooling like we are. We do Meals on Wheels every week. And still have time to bake cookies and muffins for the neighbors, occassionally. And, the house is in OK shape.

The best part of it all, is it seems we are still getting all of our school work done in a timely fashion. We do some bible reading or scripture memorization or read about some great man or woman of God everyday. We do math and reading every day. And the rest works itself out, thanks to the schedule.

Our days are not perfect by any stretch. And, we still have not had multiple "full" days of school in a row. But, I know my kids are learning. And most importantly they are given the opportunity to learn about things that are, in the big scheme of things, really important.

I am really, really liking this school year . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

Sounds awesome. Love your attitude.