Monday, July 18, 2011

Change it Up

As we get closer to the beginning of another school year, I am constantly evaluating what we have done and what I want to do. I really, in tangible terms, have no idea what the kids have learned. Although, we have notebooks full of papers and have read tons of great books. And, we are learning how to serve others.

But, if we are lacking in one area or if there is an area that I want to improve upon is, making school more fun. I don't like hearing my kids say they don't like school. I have no doubt part of it is, they are kids, they are programmed deep down to not like school! But, we homeschool. Part of the deal was it was suppose to be more fun!

But, I want to change that. I want the things that they dislike doing the most, to at least be tolerable. I know that is asking a lot, but, I think with a little perseverance, patience and a little creativity, it might be possible.

For my part, I need to ease up on a schedule. Not be so worried about getting things done and more concerned about what we are learning during the process. Boop will be "in school" this year so there isn't going to be any spare time. We are way behind in the curriculum we are using and there is no possible way we will catch up. (As I am sure I have mentioned before, the curriculum we use is pretty advanced anyway.) So, I am at the point of why try. Let's just read and learn without the pressure of doing, reading and learning in some prescribed chunk of time.

If I can make learning fun, then they will have a love of learning their whole lives. I really am going to do the best I can, have low expectations but high goals and let God fill in the gaps. And have LOTS of fun doing it . . .

No comments: