Thursday, July 28, 2011

Worship On Wednesday

So, there is this guy in our church. He is a convicted felon. And during one of our church's musical presentations he was part of it and gave his testimony. His testimony, in a nutshell, was how God loves each and everyone of us. He sent His Son to die for each and everyone of us. So, that, each and every one of us could have eternal life. No matter who we are or what we have done. And, as part of his testimony, he took his rap sheet, fashioned it into a cross and hung it out there for everyone to see. It was pretty profound.

Last night, at WOW (Worship on Wednesday), he was part of my prayer group. (We huddle up in small groups during the first 10 or so minutes of our service to pray out loud.) When he prayed he said something that spoke right to me. He gave thanks to God for the privilege of receiving God's gift of eternal life through the death of His Son Jesus Christ.

Privilege. I have to say, that isn't a word that I would have used to describe my faith. Not that it isn't a privilege. I just never looked at it that way. At least not that I can remember. I am sure I have used that word to describe the ability I have to practice my faith. But not the actual gift itself. I don't know. That word just spoke volumes to me at that moment.

For me, at times, it can be real easy to take for granted the life that I have in Christ. Yes, it is a gift of grace and mercy and salvation from God, but it is a privilege and an honor to live for the King of Kings, Lord of Lords. My thoughts, deeds, words and actions should reflect that wonderful privilege.

I am thankful for God's mercy because I fall so short of living out that privilege. But, that word has set a new goal before me. . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I really liked this post, Ann.