Saturday, July 9, 2011

Status Quo

I don't believe in the status quo for me or my family. Just because something has always been done a certain way, doesn't mean that is the way we have to do it. I believe with the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the instruction in God's word, we can do and be different.

I love being, thinking, acting different. For the right reasons, of course. Not just to be different. But to honor and glorify God with my thoughts and actions. And to love others. (Although I fail miserably most days!) One thing I want my kids to understand and contemplate is, they do not have to whatever everyone else is doing. Just because everyone else is doing it.

I want them to have the skills, knowledge, wisdom and desire to do what they need to do, because that is what they need to do. God has called each one of us to special tasks. A special life. Does that make sense?

As we are called and led by the Holy Spirit, we are many times going to be doing, thinking and acting differently or just the opposite of everyone else. Be in the world but not of this world.

That goes for my faith as well. I do not want my children to blindly follow my faith and beliefs. At some point, it has to become their faith and beliefs. And, I trust with all my heart, if my children choose to question my beliefs, that God can and will answer any doubts they may have, in His own timing.

As believers, we each develop our own unique, individual, personal relationship with Jesus. And, I just don't think it necessarily leads to the status quo . . .

No comments: