Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Day in the Life of . . .

. . . me. There was some discussion this weekend as to what a typical day looks like for me. (I am sure it had to do with the 2 ft mound of laundry and the dusty bedroom that prompted the discussion.) Sometimes, not always, there is an assumption because I am a stay-at-home mom the house should be straighten and cleaned the majority of the time. And I would whole heartily agree if it where not for the fact that I homeschool and have four relatively young children. As my mom says "Yes, I know you are the perfect mother." But, that is not what I mean when I say that. When you take the responsibility of educating your children something has to give. When you are home all day every day things tend to stay messy and dirty for longer periods of time. It is harder to carve out time to get bigger things done. You spend most of your time just trying to keep up. Laundry was 2 ft high all over my bathroom floor because I didn't do laundry for just two days. There is dust in my bedroom because no one but family goes in there :)

So, here is my day yesterday which I consider typical:

1:05AM feed EG
2:30AM feed EG
3:48AM feed EG (finally ended up in bed with me)
7:08AM wake and feed EG
7:40AM make coffee
7:44AM start computer
pick up school room
8:03AM 1st load of laundry
8:05AM breakfast for kids
clean kitchen
8:20AM post blog/check Facebook/check Email
8:25AM EG nap
8:40AM assign chores
finish kitchen
get ready for school
eat my breakfast
9:00AM school
9:40AM feed EG
10:00AM shower
10:38AM 2nd load of laundry
10:39AM continue school
10:58AM EG nap
10:59AM finish school
11:30AM rock baby
11:45AM fold laundry
12:00PM feed EG
12:30PM make/eat lunch
clean kitchen
1:15PM EG/Boop naps
1:30PM pay bills
finish kitchen
2:00PM make doctor appts
prep dinner
sweep under table
take out trash and recycling
fold laundry
2:16PM get girls ready for tumbling
2:30PM feed EG
3:00PM go to bank then tumbling
5:30PM feed EG
6:00PM make dinner
check computer
fold clothes
start to pick up Boop's room
6:39PM eat dinner
6:50PM clean kitchen
7:00PM pick up living room
7:15PM go for walk with kids
8:00PM bathe big kids and read to them
8:40PM bathe EG
9:00PM feed EG and put her to bed
9:30PM unwind, watch TV, eat dessert :)
10:00PM bed (last night stayed up until 11:00 because daddy got home real late)

I try to use Flylady everyday but sometimes I can't seem to find 10min to do something that isn't a priority. One thing I had read on a blog of a fellow homeschooler is that housework will suffer. It has to. Or something else has to give. I won't lie, I hate housework but it is a necessary thing. I will continue to strive to work out a plan that works for us. The kids have begun helping a lot. And as the baby gets older it will free up time. During the summer we will catch up. I will probably go over the list a time or two to see what can be done better, more efficiently. Until then I will just have to wade through the dust and the laundry . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I don't homeschool, what's my excuse for the piles of laundry and dust?
:)
Seems like when I get one routine down, something changes (Luke naps less and gets into trouble more, so my priorities shift).
You should post your schedule every few months.... see how it changes.