Friday, April 3, 2009

The Hospital

Today EG goes to the hospital for an ultrasound. She has a growth underneath her armpit that is rather large and constantly bruised. It has been there for months. It hasn't shrunk and the doctor says she feels it has gotten a little bigger. I am really not really worried. It looks harmless plus the doctor assured me it is most likely nothing. But as I lay awake last night feeding EG it came to my mind how many times we as a family have been to the hospital. Not including my deliveries.

We had to go back to the hospital when Nature Girl was 6 days old because of a billiruben (spelling) problem. That was so traumatic. Here we were brand new parents without a clue and a doctor calling the house saying we had to go back to the hospital! We had to go back when Nature Girl was almost 4 months old because her doctor thought she had pneumonia. We had to have her chest x-rayed. I remember the technician coming to get her and taking her away to get it done. Walking and walking the hallway waiting for them to bring her back. It turned out she was fine! Then when Nature Girl was a little over 2 she swallowed a penny. I was told to take her to the ER to have her tummy x-rayed. So I did. Everything worked itself out in time :) Next, Boop was about 4 months old and he had the flu I guess. Not eating or drinking. Vomiting and diarrhea. The girls had had it before him but because of his age it was more serious. Of course it was a weekend and daddy was working. Daddy came home early and I took Boop to the ER. We sat and sat and sat for like 5 hours. Boop had not thrown up the entire time we were there. It was almost 10 o'clock at night and when I had called home I found out that daddy was sick too. I made an executive decision and left the ER. Everything worked out that time as well. The last time we had to go to the hospital was when Nature Girl was 5 and diagnosed with Kawasaki Disease. Daddy was in Wisconsin and I had to take her to the peds floor immediately from the doctor's office. She has had to go to the hospital for follow up ultrasounds but everything has been fine. As I write this it seems to me like we have been at the hospital quite a bit. I don't know if that is normal.

Today as we go, it isn't really dire circumstances. It is just for precaution sake. I haven't really given it much thought. In fact, I have even kind of forgot that I will have to take all the kids with me. It isn't that I am not concerned. It is just that I am not worried. I have a peace. What I know for certain is that my faith in God will continue to sustain me through it all . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I admire your 'peacefulness' today. Wishing you good luck with everything.