Thursday, April 23, 2009

EG and the Sweet Potato





In an attempt to get weight on the little bugger and even more importantly get her to sleep through the night (well at least part way through the night) both the doctor and the lactation consultant suggested start feeding EG solids. The doctor recommended the normal rice cereal. But, the lactation consultant recommended sweet potato. This is her reasoning: the rice cereal is hard to digest, it is processed, etc. The sweet potato on the other hand is full of vitamins and minerals and is all natural. Of course, I think to myself, one more thing I have done wrong in raising my kids. I have always given them the rice cereal and then jarred baby food. I have since looked up how to "make babyfood" and it really isn't all that difficult. (I am sure I will use a combination of jarred food and "real" food.) I have baked two sweet potatoes, cut them up and put them in the freezer. On Tuesday I pulled one out, warmed it up, put a little liquid in it and fed it to EG. SHE LOVED IT!!!! She grabbed my hand and kept putting the spoon up to her mouth. The only problem was she kept sticking her tongue out and therefore pushing the food out. We did this for a few minutes and then quit. I didn't want her to get frustrated. Yesterday at dinner I attempted the sweet potato again. This time she stuck up her nose and would not open her mouth! Go figure! Depending on her mood, we will try again today . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

mmmmm...sweet potatoes...nummy.

Luke was all 'eh' when it came to his jarred/processed food. But when I gave him the real deal? He couldn't get enough.

Diane Moody said...

These pictures are ADORABLE! Bring on the yams, mama!