Saturday, November 7, 2009

Girls' Night Out

Awhile ago I was driving downtown. As I looked to my left, I noticed one of the older hotels getting an update. As it turned out, the hotel had new owners and they were totally remodeling it. Why is this a big deal? Well, as I watched the progress of the renovations I noticed they were building something peculiar on the top. It looked like an outside lounge kind of thing.

My sister, mom and I had gone to a place in NYC. It was a lounge type place on the tippy top of a hotel in the meat packing district. I had wanted to get a small taste of the NY nightlife and this little lounge on top of a hotel was recommended to us by the server who had waited on us at dinner. You could sit outside and look out onto the NY skyline. It was spectacular. One of the highlights of my trip.

Anyway, when I saw that they were building this lounge on top of this hotel I called my sister immediately and told her we just had to go and check it out.

The place has been open for about a month now. And honestly I figured the only hope I had of actually seeing the place was with the kids some afternoon. We would just stop in and go up top and take a look around. But Thursday my sister called me and said she and some of her friends from work were going up there after work and would I like to come. I checked with hubby and he said sure. So yesterday afternoon I went up to the tippy top of the Hotel Duval and spent about a hour or so checking out the scenery and enjoying the sunset over all of the downtown buildings.

It is a neat place and the view was spectacular. The inside was kind of small with just a few tables and chairs. But the outside ran the length of the hotel. It was done in black, burgundy and silver. The were wicker type couches and chairs lining the deck or patio or whatever you call it. It made it very comfy to just sit and chat and watch.

I don't get out much and that is OK. I was home by dinner for malt and game night. But when I do get to I love every aspect of it. People watching, relaxing, enjoying pleasant conversation and honestly just being able to sit . . .

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Okay I know it was not the "point" of your post, but I love the idea of Malt and Game Night. Please tell us more!!

Ann said...

I love board games. Not that I have played them much as an adult. But I do remember playing them quite a bit as a kid. Anyway, the kids love games and it always seemed like there was never a good time to get them out and play. So, about a year and a half ago (I am sure I don't have the timing right) we designated every other Friday malt and game night. After dinner daddy makes malts and we get a game out. It used to be Candy Land or Shoots and Ladders. Then Bingo. Now it is Monopoly and Little Mama usually "wins." Great family fun!! Oddly enough when Sissy mentioned meeting her out, I made it clear that I would not miss Malt and Game night - my how times change ;)

Diane Moody said...

I'm so glad you had a chance to get out and visit that lounge! Sounds like RX for a mother's soul - fresh air, sunset, friends, and beverages . . .

Love the Malt & Game night! I ADORE malts! What kind does Paul make???