Saturday, November 21, 2009

Service Project Number Two

Well hopefully the beginning of one. We have a ton of baby stuff. Some of it new. And some of it gently used. My first reaction was to give it to the girl next door who is having a baby girl any day now. But, days went by and I never saw her outside. Heaven forbid I go and knock on the door. (I just don't like to do that because I feel like I am intruding - strange, I know.)

Anyway, I knew of a place called A Women's Pregnancy Center. I had heard about it a couple of years ago. It is a place where women can go when they find out they're pregnant and have questions and don't know where to turn. From everything I have heard, the center encourages women to keep their babies or at least not terminate them. And then provide support to these women. At one time I had considered volunteering as a counselor but as I remember they have kind of time intensive training course. Well, at least more time than I had with little kids at home. So, when deciding what to do with our baby stuff, I decided to give them a call.

The lady explained that they give each mother a brand new layette and that each month after that the new moms can come back and pick out some of the gently used stuff. So I told her what we had and she said to bring it by. Little Mama asked if we were bringing toys. I told her probably not this trip. I explained that some of these women might not even have enough money to buy diapers for their babies so we needed to concentrate on the most basic needs that a mother and a baby have. Maybe as time goes on, we can see what kind of toys they might need.

So, yesterday the kids and I brought our stuff to the center. When on the phone with her, I had asked her if there was anything in particular the center was in need of. She told me baby toiletry items such as shampoo and lotion so I told her we would be back after Thanksgiving with those items. I figure the kids can use some of their money and I will use some of mine to buy the items they need. I also asked her if there were any type of projects they needed done that we could do as a family. She said maybe lawn work or the kids could sort out the donations. She said she would check with someone about that.

When we were leaving the question was asked exactly what the place was. So we had a very brief discussion about the sanctity of life and that some women did not have a support network that sometimes can be needed when you are pregnant. I explained that some women, when they find out they are going to have a baby, might be scared or unsure. I told them that the ladies there help the women to understand what is going on in their bodies and what it means to be pregnant. They answer questions and give guidance and information and provide much needed support.

The easy part for me is dropping things off or giving money. The little bit harder part is giving of myself and my time. But, I am going to call her back after Thanksgiving and volunteer us for whatever they can find for us to do. I am also thinking, again, about when the kids get a little older, to maybe be a counselor. What greater purpose could there be, then to encourage, support and pray for a woman who is struggling about the "decision" to be a mom. I know if it is in God's plan and I make myself available, He will use me for this precious purpose . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

What an important lesson you're teaching your children -- good work Mama.