Monday, November 9, 2009

Gymnastics









Yesterday Nature Girl had her very first gymnastics competition/meet. It was fund raiser for the gym that the kids go to. There were tons of kids there and most of the girls from NG's class.

They had about 2 months to prepare a bars, beam and floor routine. There preparation time was right during out sickness stint so NG missed 2 weeks of class. I let her know that if she did not want to compete she didn't have to this time. I explained it is important to follow through with commitments but this was extenuating circumstances. I didn't want her to get up in front of a huge crowd and not be prepared. Not because of her lack of preparation but because of circumstances out of her control.

She assured me she wanted to do it and she would be fine! She talked with the coach and got a list of all of her routines so she could practice at home. Think them through in her head, I guess.
She is an incredible kid. I wanted her to be prepared but I didn't want to stress her out. She seemed very relaxed about the whole thing. Not nervous in the least.

The whole competition was a little confusing for a first timers like us (me, Sissy and Coco - daddy had to work.) It was hard to understand the rotation of everyone. There were so many girls competing. But between my sister and I, we got it figured out.

NG did good on the bars but she was so far across the room I couldn't really see her expressions etc. The beam on the other hand was right in front of us. I could see she was a little nervous and maybe not quite as sure. She will tell you beam is not her favorite. And it is hard!! She did all of these tricks (because I can't think of the right word) on a 3 inch beam 4 feet off of the ground. Amazing.

She rocked on the floor competition! I think that is probably her best event. She would probably tell you the same thing, if for no other reason then she gets to do a back handspring! She is very poised and graceful and it really shows during the floor routine. Her body bends in places that I am pretty sure it wasn't meant to. Also, she doesn't seem to be as nervous. Maybe because it is easier for her to remember the routine.

Anyway, all the kids got a trophy. They divided each class into gold, silver and bronze. I was proud of her for choosing to compete. We all told her how great she did. She now has something to work for. If she chooses to compete again . . .

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Yeah, Katie! I really wish we had been there....Emily would love to see her! Invite us next time!

Katie said...

Good for her! Must be so fun to watch.