Tuesday, November 3, 2009

RVing

A friend of ours went camping a week ago and the pictures she posted on Facebook were awesome. The pictures were so beautiful and it looked like she and her family had such a wonderful time. They went to a state park in north Georgia, I believe. Anyway, I was soooo motivated to go camping.

We haven't been in at least two years. We have a small pop-up that fit the five of us but both daddy and I are a little skeptical of it fitting the six of us. I know it can be done and I know we would be fine but I think it is just the thought. It also needs some work. The floor is rotten. One of the storage compartments has a broken seal. There are a few other things wrong but I don't know the exact technical terms.

Over the weekend I explained to daddy the vision I have for our family. It looks something like this: About every 6 weeks on a Friday morning we pack up to go camping - not any place to far away. We enjoy the outdoors. Hiking, fishing, bike riding, playing board games, cooking on an open fire. Just spending quality family time. Learning about nature. Taking what we learn in school and applying it to the great outdoors. Visit waterfalls and mountains, hills and valleys. All on a backdrop of leaves changing colors or new flowers popping out of the ground. An occasional camping trip to the beach.

I have only camped a handful of times in my life. But have always loved it! When we met friends who camped it renewed my interest. It is just something I want us to do as a family. The kids have loved the couple times we have gone. And daddy and I have loved the few times we have gone. I have just never been able to put my finger on why we just don't do it more.

So, as daddy and I discussed it this weekend I found out some very valuable information. First and foremost, the reason daddy hasn't been so gung ho about going recently is this: He wants something he can just pull up to the campsite and be ready to go. He doesn't want all the work you have to do once you get there. He wants a camper that is just ready. One that has storage space to keep things just for camping. One, that if need be, has room for all of us, comfortably. Daddy is an outdoor guy but he also likes basic comforts. Truth be told, I don't have a problem with that. One of my big "fears" I have is taking the kids to the potty at night. I just don't like the thought of it. So, if our new trailer has a potty so be it. Who am I to complain ;)

So, yesterday we went to an RV sales place. And boy did we have fun!! I wish I would have had a video camera or at least my regular camera. All of us were like kids in a candy store. Running from one trailer to the next. The kids would scream for joy when the went into each one! They got a kick out of comparing size and weight and price! Not that it mattered but we all agreed on a favorite. It sleeps six pretty comfortably. It had a queen bed, a fold out couch, and a bunk bed with a full size mattress on the bottom bunk. It even had a shower and a potty!! The kids didn't want to leave with out it.

But, I know daddy better than that. This is just the beginning of the process. And one that could very well end up with nothing. This is just our newest venture. A couple of months ago, it was a boat! (Although daddy did say if we got a new camper we would definitely get a canoe!) So, I am not getting my hopes up. Anything could happen. But it really was fun to go and look. The trailers were incredible. And the motor homes were awesome. One even had three flat screen TVs.

Who knows what will happen in the next couple weeks. The sales guy was very eager to deal with us. Take our pop-up as a trade-in etc. I will leave it up to daddy. I am very confident the kids will not let it go. In fact, after school today they are going to play camping. And I am honestly hoping by the beginning of next year, we will be going camping for real . . .

5 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds fun -- I hope it works out for you all!

Kathryn said...

My dad said they are practically giving those things away right now. Sounds fun!

Ann said...

The sales guy was definitely ready to deal. He just doesn't know my hubby and that this is just the beginning of research - hee, hee!

Diane Moody said...

Oh Annie! I am so excited for you! My sister & I have gone to RV shows here in Nashville and DREAMED of someday getting one. Same for us - HAS to have its own potty & shower! We loved some of the "5th Wheelers" . . . hey I could rant for hours on this and show you all my brochures! Keep me posted on this!! I am SO EXCITED FOR YOU and I'm gonna pray this happens for you guys!!!

Ann said...

I so want this to happen for us. But know that it has to be daddy's decision all the way. Thanks for the prayers!! As always!!