Tuesday, November 17, 2009

That Time of Year

Daddy is preparing for his trip to the Frozen Tundra tomorrow. I am very thankful that he doesn't ever travel. I mean he doesn't ever go anywhere unless it is with us. So, every year, the week before Thanksgiving he goes on his annual hunting trip. I think this is his 9th year.

It is funny because it is actually my side of the family that he hangs with. He sees them more than I do! Anyway, he usually leaves on a Wednesday or a Thursday and comes back on the following Tuesday.

We do OK. I don't stress about it. It never fails, though, that some one will be sick. But, as I have mentioned in previous posts, because of our bought with the flu a couple of weeks ago, I feel pretty confident that we will be healthy. How is that for optimist thinking!!

I have tried to make some plans with friends etc. to make the time pass. Not necessarily for the kids but for me ;) If I have any concern at all, it is the fact that I have no other adult contact unless I make an effort! So, I have reached out to my sister and some friends and tried to find us some diversions. But, honestly, even if I didn't make other plans we have tumbling and the library and sports and church and life. All of the usual activities that make time fly by faster than I care to acknowledge.

Cooking will fall by the way side. As you all know I am not a huge chef as it is. But, laboring over dinner for kids who don't really care, isn't going to happen. Spaghetti, red beans and rice, fast food one night, pancakes, hot dogs, some kind of easy chicken dish, chicken chili.

This year is a little different. Daddy flies in and out of the city where we will be spending Thanksgiving. So, I will be driving with the kids to meet him when he gets back. That probably makes me a whole lot more nervous then him being gone! I am pretty sure my mother-in-law will be riding with us. So that definitely makes it easier.

Daddy looks forward to this trip every year. He works so hard for us and there is so much he does for us that goes unappreciated. I would never, ever dream of asking him not to go. (That is why he got to go last year when I had a 5 day old baby :) I hope he doesn't worry about us too much. I hope he doesn't miss us too much. I hope he has a great time. I hope he is safe. And I hope the time passes quickly, for us. . .

No comments: