Monday, June 28, 2010

New Development

So, this morning Nature Girl had horse camp. She hasn't been feeling well so we made a big deal about her feeling up to going. What she should do if started to feel puny. We asked numerous times if she felt OK. Of course, her answer was always "yes, I feel fine".

She got a little bit of a late start and didn't eat much breakfast. I was hesitant about her going but didn't want to disappoint her. She and her daddy left the house a little bit behind schedule. When she got to the stable, she went running off and daddy chatted with the one of the owners who he knows through work. The stable is owned by our former babysitter so that helped me in my decision to let her go.

About 20 after 8, my cell phone rang and it was daddy bringing Nature Girl home. Apparently she wasn't feeling well and didn't want to stay. So not like Nature Girl at all. She is all about going and doing. Especially by herself.

I truly feel part of her wanting to come home was that she didn't feel well. But, after further conversation with her, I found out that she was just a little bit uncomfortable because the few girls she remembered from last year didn't remember her. And one girl was a little "unkind". I use quotes because she really wasn't unkind but I guess just wasn't overly friendly and NG was a little confused, I guess, about that. It made her feel uncomfortable. I think it is a feeling she just isn't use to. NG makes friends where ever she goes. And, to her, everyone is her best friend. Having friends just comes naturally, and until now, easy for her.

I think these situations are things that parents hate to have to deal with. At least I do. I remember only to clearly, as a young girl, being odd man out. I hated gym class and lunch hour. I explained to NG that I changed schools a lot growing up and I remember, sometimes, how difficult it was making friends. (It was one of the reason, during VBS, that I made my girls introduce themselves to girls who they didn't recognize.)

I explained that I think fear and being uncomfortable is normal. It is part of being human. What I hoped to get across to her was that fear that keeps you from doing something you really want to do isn't a good way to live life. I wanted her to understand that with prayer and faith and encouragement she could go tomorrow and give it another try.

I don't think I want to push hard for my kids to do things that make them uncomfortable. I think I want them to make that choice on their own. To develop skills and thought processes and faith that she can use, on her own, in all kinds of situations. I won't always be there for every uncomfortable, unkind, scary situation. But, I think, if I take the time now, to talk about them with all my kids, share with them some of my experiences, apply God's word and encourage prayer, there can be some lasting, helpful tools to deal with many of life's experiences.

At least that is my thought process today . . .

No comments: