Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Vaction Bible School

It is that time of year again! VBS! So much work goes into the week long event but, is so worth while. This year we had a new director so things are a little bit different. Not quite so time intensive and no quite so hectic. Which I am totally thankful for.

I am a line leader and all I really had to do was just show up. I can do that! This year I am the line leader for Little Mama's class. And we have 16 little guys. My helper is a family friend's son and neighborhood boy so that is a bonus. In fact, when I knew he was going to be there, I "requested" him.

Our theme is High Seas Adventure and the director and her husband did a fabulous job with decorations and props. I think, so far, my favorite part has been the Bible story time. The lady teaching our age group is an elementary school teacher and she has really made the stories of Peter and Paul come alive for the kids (and for me.)

The kids are busy collecting money for missions in Haiti AND if the girls win they get to throw a pie in the face of our Music Ministry Director and any other male volunteers. If the boys win they get to throw a pie in the face of the VBS Director and any other female volunteers. I am afraid I will have to be one of the "volunteers." Ha, ha!! So, my girls are working extra hard so I don't get a pie in the face!

This year our VBS has really reached out to the community surrounding our church. My class has 4 kids from our church, 5 kids from our church partnership with a summer academic and enrichment program and the rest are neighborhood kids. They are from all walks of life and it is fabulous.

The past two days have been fast, but great. It brings tears to my eyes to hear the kids ask and answer questions about the people they are learning about in the Bible. And how in awe they are to learn about Paul and Peter's great faith in God.

Day three tomorrow. Parents night Thursday and then the final day and clean up on Friday. By Friday the kids and I are totally wore out. But, none of us would miss this summer time tradition of growing, learning and sharing our faith for anything . . .

No comments: