Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Slug A Bug

Did you ever play that as a child? My brother and I did. And, thanks to VW's new commercial, my kids are playing it too. And, I have to admit, I get in on the action as well. We have changed the rules a little bit. We actually "slug a bug" for any VW. It doesn't necessarily have to be a "bug."

It seems like we have been spending a lot of time in the car. Short trips. Traveling to swimming and tumbling, etc., etc. And it has been a great distraction. I will admit, arguments have broken out because two kids say it at the same time, or they say the wrong color, or hit too hard. But, I try to use those little disagreements to teach good sportsmanship, remembering it is just a game and thinking of others first. (It is amazing to me how all of life is so full of teaching moments!)

Anyway, EG has even got in on the game. She will sit in her carseat and yell "Boo on." (Blue one.) And then right afterwards will say "weeer?" (Where?) It is so darn cute. I will say "blue one" just to hear her say "weeer?"

The other day they were talking about the game on the radio station and how some of the announcers (or whatever you call them) had never heard of the game. That blows my mind. I figured they were probably mid to late 20s.

I love when the kids take an interest in something I did as a kid. Even something as silly as "slug a bug" . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my goodness, I can just hear a sweet little voice saying "weeer?"
Love it.

I dare not bring this up with my kids.... my big boys are seriously stronger than me and they would hurt me and the littles :)

Diane Moody said...

Bring your sweeties on down! I'll take 'em for a ride in my "boo on"!!