Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's All About Choice

And personal responsibility. Daddy came to me last night and said "Did you hear, they want to change the shape of a hot dog?" Yes, I had heard that. And, it makes my blood boil. I am one of those who believes that we were given the right to choose the direction and path of our lives. Some decisions we make are bad and we have to live with the consequences and some choices are good and we get to live with those consequences as well.

Are we not smart enough to make decisions for ourselves?? I guess the answer could be "No, there are some out there who can't/won't make those decisions for themselves." And, I guess, that is a reality. But, should the rest of us have to live our lives a certain way because the minority can't/won't use common sense? Ultimately taking away our personal freedom of choice??

I wear my seat belt. If I rode a motorcycle, I would wear a helmet. When I give my child a hot dog, I cut it up into small pieces so she won't choke. I don't need someone to make those decisions or choices for me. And, if I choose not to do those things, then I need to prepare myself for the consequences.

When we strip individuals of choices and responsibilities we make people lazy and weak and irresponsible. And that cannot be good for society as a whole. We are raising the next generation. I want the next generation to understand choice, responsibility and consequences. The next generation are our soldiers, doctors, lawyers, presidents.

I do my best to allow natural consequences in our home. Some times it is painful for me to watch. Sometimes I want to help my kids get out of a jam. And, honestly, sometimes I do. But, for the most part, I try to let things just happen. They have to pay restitution for items broken. They have to ask for forgiveness for personal offenses. They have to own up to their deceit. I don't want my kids growing up thinking someone else is going to take the heat, pick up the slack. That they can blame others for their choices. I don't believe my kids will wake up when their 18 and suddenly become responsible adults. It is something I need to teach along the way.

I have no doubt as they get older the consequences of their choices are going to be very painful. For them and for me. And I hope and pray that I can continue to let them grow and mature, learning and growing in responsibility.

But, for now, we will wear our seat belts and helmets and cut up our hot dogs. Not because some one tells us to. But because we do not want to suffer the consequences of the alternative . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I heard about that too and thought, huh?
How are they going to change the shapes of the 10,000 other chokie things? How are they going to change the shape of grapes :)