Monday, May 31, 2010

Hard Working Hubby

The kids and I were out running errands the other day while hubby was working a detail. As we were out and about, hubby asked us to run by the local sporting goods store and pick up some fishing line as he was going fishing the next day with a friend.

The whole trip was kind of a train wreck. I knew the store had narrow aisles and there was TONS of stuff to touch. I also knew the store would be full of men, hunting and fishing type men. I would already kind of stand out, a woman with four kids during school hours. I begged with the kids "please behave." I just wanted to get in and out unnoticed. HA!

I had the big stroller so I knew maneuvering would be hard. Boop and Little Mama both went to open the door for me (bless their hearts) but, as Boop grabbed for the door, so did LM and the big metal door opened right over Boop's foot, the metal scrapping the top of his toes. Of course, he started to cry. Here we were hanging half in and half out of the store. As I called for Nature Girl to come back toward the stroller, because she was already in the store looking around, she tripped over the stroller and fell to the floor. We were still in the doorway. So much for shopping unnoticed.

We went toward the back of the store where the fishing supplies are sold, through all the narrow aisles. Bumping into the metal shelving as we went. Bing, bang, bong, scrraaape. We sounded like bulls in a china shop. Anyway, I finally asked a young man to help me find what I was looking for. I had to call hubby and then give the phone to the young man because I had NO IDEA what I was looking for.

As we were walking quietly up to the check out counter, the owner of the store was standing there. Watching us. All of us. Smiling. He said "Either you are going fishing or you love your husband very much." I said with a smile "Yes, I do love my husband and he works very hard to provide us everything we need and then some."

Hubby works very hard and he works a lot. Sometimes more than I wish he would ;) But, when I sit back and think about all he does for us and for others, I really and truly feel blessed. Hubby has an important job and he takes it very seriously. I admire that, although sometimes that means he isn't around when I would like for him to be.

A lot of things don't get done around the house in a timely fashion (or at all). One reason is, he works a lot. But, another good reason is, that, if someone asks my hubby for help, he never, ever says no. He is totally available to whoever needs him. If the neighbors see him out working in the front yard and they need help with something or have a question about some law thing, they never hesitate to ask him. I LOVE that about him. He has such a generous heart with his time and talents and knowledge. And he has a lot of talents. He can fix just about anything. And he knows a lot about a lot of different stuff.

He isn't selfish with his time. He is patient and kind to strangers. You figure, the majority of what he does all day, every day, for work, is acts of service for others. The kids told me about the last time he took them to Lowe's and they saw a lady and child stranded on the side of the road with no gas. He took her to the gas station, bought her gas and brought her back to her car. I would like to say that I was impressed by that, but honestly I wasn't all that surprised. That is just what he does. Who he is.

Sure, I get very annoyed when he doesn't finish my "honey do" list or when I look in the backyard and see stuff that needs to be taken to the dump. But, I don't think I would change him for anything. I think I like the fact that he says "yes" all the time to others. I respect that about him.

I guess because his birthday is coming up, and Father's Day, and the kids have been planning "stuff" and shopping for him, I have been thinking a lot about who he really is. He is so even tempered, so forgiving, so darn easy going. (The absolute, positive opposite of me ;) We are so blessed to have him leading our family. We all can learn a lot from him.

Today we were going to work on the "honey do" list and go on a much needed date. But, half way through the morning, he got a call that his old lieutenant had been shot in the line of duty. (Thankfully he will be O.K.) When called to volunteer to come in, he did not hesitate.

The "honey do" list will have to wait for another day. And the much needed date will have to be rescheduled. And that is OK. I wouldn't want it to be any other way . . .

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

:) !!!!

Katie said...

Love this post!
What a sweet tribute to your husband.

Diane Moody said...

You definitely married a keeper! Love that you wrote this post about him. Good men are hard to find and you are BLESSED!