Thursday, May 13, 2010

Huckleberry EG

Yesterday we had to be out of the house in the morning for an extended period of time. Our first stop was Chick-fil-A for breakfast. I LOVE THAT PLACE!!!!! As we ordered our food, the customer service person offered to roll the highchair for me. That is how our experience started. And that hasn't been the first time that happened. When Boop was a newborn, I took the girls there and an employee offered to carry our food for us, open the doors, etc.

Yesterday, after using the very clean bathroom, with a baby changing table I might add, we sat in the very clean indoor playground and listened to Christian music. Nature Girl noticed right away, in the front of the store, the 10 commandments. I love the fact that they are closed on Sunday. And near as I can tell, they treat their employees very well. I think I know this because of how well the employees treat the customers.

The young man who waited on me and all the kids told me he "commended me." I took it as a compliment ;) We have done our fair share of traveling the last couple of weeks and have stopped at fast food restaurants that were convenient. And each time I have regretted it. Horrible customer service, mediocre food, and dirty disgusting tables, restrooms, high chairs etc. (Chick-fil-A has fresh flowers on their tables.)

Our next stop was huckleberry picking with a friend. The kids had tons of fun. Unfortunately I forgot my camera. The kids saw hundreds of baby frogs and one or two other insects. Plenty of bushes with huckleberries. And even a blueberry bush which wasn't quite ripe yet.

It was the first time EG went picking. She had her own cup, just like the big kids. The only difference was, anytime she got berries (picked by someone bigger) she would plop down on the ground and eat them all. I so wanted to take a picture. Her teeth were purple, her mouth was purple. I was certain she would have a tummy ache. If a leaf or piece of wood got in her cup, she would pull it out, discard it and keep on eating.

We got about a quart full, after everyone was done eating. I think they will be good in muffins and pancakes. Or just by themselves . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

I have never tasted a huckleberry :(
Are they like blueberries? Or blackberries?

Ann said...

They look and kind of taste like blueberries (more red) but smaller, maybe, and the bush is different.